There is no denying that the CrossFit craze is here to stay. The growth in popularity is nothing short of phenomenal. One reason why it is so popular is because it really can be tailor made to suit everyone. This means it’s great for super fit athletic types and it can also be adapted for people of all ages, sizes, shapes and levels of fitness. CrossFit is a great time saver, too. the WOD’s usually last a maximum of only 20 minutes–but what a 20 minutes!
Here are just a few reasons why even “baby boomer” women over the age of 50 can enjoy CrossFit:
* CrossFitters can start at their own level – even if that level is rock bottom. There is no reason to be intimidated by other CrossFitters–newbie’s are competing against no one but themselves and the majority of CrossFitters are very welcoming to new members. You certainly don’t have to get in shape before you dare enter a CrossFit box, just show up as you are and enjoy yourself.
* CrossFit gives the metabolism nothing short of a mega blasting boost. As women age they lose muscle mass and their metabolism slows considerably. But, these CrossFit weight bearing exercises really give the metabolism a boost, meaning that you not only burn calories while you’re exercising, you keep on burning calories for a few hours after. You’ll not only end up slimmer but with a more toned body, as well. Doesn’t that sound appealing?
* CrossFit doesn’t necessarily make you bulky but it does make you toned. A pound of muscle and pound of fat weigh the same, but a pound of fat is a much larger mass than a pound of muscle. You might weigh the same or even more, but your body will be in a whole different class.
* Start off slowly. You don’t have to try and lift heavier weights than you are comfortable lifting. Many CrossFit gyms have a supply of pipes or broomsticks for newbie’s to get to grips with their barbell lifts; the weights can be increased gradually as you progress.
* CrossFit is also great for the joints. Women do tend to get more “creaky” as they age so it is important to “use them or lose them!” Joints were designed to open and close and can get achy and stiff if they are not used regularly. CrossFit fits the bill perfectly.
Of course, let’s not forget about the terrific social aspect of CrossFit– working together and sweating together can help to build great friendships.